• info729438

Minutes 04/28/20

Bishop’s Committee Meeting - April 28th, 2019

AGENDA

  1. OPENING PRAYER ……………………………………………………..…… Antonio J. Gallardo (2.00 pm / 7 min)

  1. VISITORS WELCOME …………………………………………………………… Antonio J. Gallardo (2.07 pm / 5 min)

Nishanti Nkurukulasuriya

  1. ROLL CALL & REPORT ON ABSENT MEMBERS …………….…………………………. June Mack (2.12 pm / 3 min)

In Attendance: Vanessa Ynda, Bart Stratton, José Arellano, Antonio Gallardo,

Absent: Donna Machado (Excused), Steve Fox (Excused), June Mack (Excused), Steve Mack (Excused), Sonia Gaitán, Luz Flores.

Minutes taken by Antonio Gallardo

  1. BUSINESS ITEMS

a. Approval of February, March, 2019 minutes ………………………… Antonio J. Gallardo (2.15 pm / 5 min)

Minutes could not be approved due to the lack of quorum.

b. Report of the Treasurer …………….…………………………………………….…..…. Bart Stratton (2.20 pm / 7 min)

Bart Stratton walked those present through significant items in the Treasurer’s Report.

- Pledges and contributions are at $ 14k, and we were budgeted at $ 18k. He is a little concerned about it. Maybe people contribute quarterly or potentially this is the impact of the level of tax returns that people have received (or they may not have filed and are waiting a return to catch up) . Plan is to be on budget by June. Bart to receive report from Dan Valdez to assess level of contribution to follow-up.

- Antonio shared that estimated Plate and Offering for Easter service was about $ 945.

- Total property use over budget maybe due to incidental property use.

- For revenue we are on track, with the exception of being behind in pledges.

- Expenses: little over budget on administrator and overhead. Property related expensed are under budget, as well as vicar-related expenses. Net income is under budget, most related to items that we are under the expenses.

Action Item: Antonio Gallardo – proposed to hold on property improvements until we resolve the current gap in revenue resulting from the end of the office lease from the Gooden Center (Item below)

c. Balancing the Budget …………….…………………………………………….…….…. Antonio / Bart (2.27 pm / 5 min)

Bart Stratton shared that the Gooden Center shared that they are tight on their budget and are going to terminate the use of the offices starting in May. This represents a loss in revenue of $ 1,200 / month, or $ 9,600 for the year. We may be able to make-up some of the loss income in the Property Tax item in the budget. We budgeted $ 18k for property taxes, and so far the bill is $ 11k, leaving $ 7k that maybe be used to balance the budget.

Bart Stratton called the assessor’s office to discuss how the property taxes are based upon change of ownership, when there was none. He also asked that if we have to pay property taxes when the property is rented to non-profits, and maybe we don’t have pay property taxes. He also shared that potentially we can apply for welfare exception. He found out that there was never a church exemption filed.

We currently have three parcels: sanctuary, the firehouse, and he vicarage. There is a potential to get all parcels exempt. Worst case, both exemptions are denied, and we continue paying the taxes. If successful, we can even get a refund.

Action Item: Antonio Gallardo recommended for Bart to do all homework, then we meet with Diocese (Antonio may not have the authority to sign and file). Antonio Gallardo will setup a meeting with Missioner and Bart (on the phone).

Bart Stratton is wondering about the rules of the mission churches, and expressed that the Diocese should be able to let the missions know.

d. Discussion – working with the Diocese’s non-profit status ….... Antonio J. Gallardo (2.32 pm / 7 min)

Action Item: Antonio Gallardo will meet with Missioner to clarify the extent of our agency.

Vanessa Ynda recommended for Antonio Gallardo to call Kurby Smith. Bart Stratton recommended the review of Articles of Incorporation of the Diocese to learn about Missions.

e. Task Force: Rental of Hall for Social Events ………………………………….……… Steven Fox (2.39 pm / 8 min)

Antonio Gallardo shared that we have about 5 inquiries for the rental of the hold, and such rentals are currently on hold (decision made before the Priest in Charge arrived). His understanding is that rentals are on hold until guidelines are developed, and that is the reason why Steven Fox proposed assembling a Task Force.

Bart Stratton expressed that we need to consider that we may be limited in the types of rentals that we can do.

f. Next Steps on Website Development .. ……….……………………………..….. Vanessa Ynda (2.47 pm / 5 min)

Vanessa Ynda shared that she has all the recommendations at hand, and that she needs to talk to Carla Suy to pay for the hosting. Antonio Gallardo shared that he taught that Steve Fox may have paid for the hosting. Vanessa Ynda expressed that there are other hosting-related items that need to be worked out with Carla Suy.

  1. BECOMING THE COMMUNITY THAT WE ENVISION …..…….…..… Antonio J. Gallardo (2.52 pm / 15 min)

a. Decision on date / time to discuss St. Luke’s Vision, Mission and Values; significant existing efforts. Action Item: Antonio Gallardo will send dates for a meeting in May, on a Saturday, from 11 – 2.30 pm. Those present shared that Saturdays are the best days for them, and José Arellano expressed that 11-2 pm is the only time when he can meet.

b. Participation in Diocese’s sponsored training opportunities:

i. Fundraising for communities of Color (TX, April 30 – May 1st). Antonio Gallardo to attend, fully sponsored by the Diocese and the Collective Foundation. He is one of two priests invited to attend from the Diocese.

ii. Social Enterprise Academy (May – Nov, 2019);

Antonio Gallardo shared with those present his perspective on why it is important and valuable for St. Luke’s to attend. Those present agreed with St, Luke’s sending a team, and via email Donna Machado, June Mack, and Stephen Mack also agreed. In initial conversations with some parishioners, Antonio Gallardo has realized that the challenge is the schedule (training is on Fridays). So far, Peggy Smith and Mirna XYZ have expressed interest and they are checking their schedule. In the event that other members of the congregation cannot attend Vanessa Ynda, and Steve Mack could do it. Bart Stratton – recommended Merced Stratton, and José Arellano will send Antonio Gallardo other recommendations.

iii. Stewardship Conference (June 1st). Bart Stratton, Nishanti Nkurukulasuriya, José Arellano, Antonio Gallardo will attend. María Elena, Kina and Tony XYZ, and Mary Ann XYZ were Action Item Antonio Gallardo to send schedule and program to those attending and the prospects.

iv. Fresh Start for Lay People (Fall 2019). Antonio Gallardo shared the value of this program to foster lay leadership and asked for recommendations. Those presents shared that this has been proposed before with no congregant expressing interest. Action Item: Antonio Gallardo to talk from the pulpit, and recruit people.

  1. WARDEN’S REPORTS …………….……………………………... Donna Machado / Steven Fox (3.07 pm / 10 min). No reports were given as Wardens were not present.

  1. PRIEST-IN-CHARGE’S REPORT ………………………………………………. Antonio J. Gallardo (3.17 pm / 10 min)

Antonio Gallardo talked about his experience during the Lent and Easter season. He experience several people helping out, with no system in place on who is responsible for what and by when. He not always found answers for what we do and why we do it. Action Item: Antonio Gallardo will hold a post-Lent and Easter season community forum on April 28th, 2019 to learn from the community about their experience with the activities and traditions in the season. He also expects to form a liturgy committee to work along with him on liturgy / services related matters.

  1. LOOSE ENDS ……………………………………………………………………………………………………….. (3.27 pm / 5 min)

Vanessa Ynda talked about Social Media, and that she has been doing a lot of work in facebook. She was added to the Crescenta Valley weekly (with an overwhelming response). She shared that St. Luke’s has 4-5 facebook groups active in the community. Mary Ann XYZ has been wanting to live broadcast the sermons. Vanessa Ynda would like for the private group for now, rather than open to the public. She expressed her concern about children showing in current videos. She also, expressed the need to also broadcast the second service. Action Item: Vanessa Ynda to start a Communications Committee. In the meantime, those present agreed that Vanessa Ynda should keep doing what she is doing. Vanessa Ynda asked José Arellano feedback from the second service, and he expressed that he is not up tp speed with Social Media in that service.

  1. VISITORS COMMENTS & REFLECTIONS ………………………………………………………………….. (3.32 pm / 5 min)

Nishanti Nkurukulasuriya shared that she understood that we are in the process trying to identify our priorities, back to what our mission and values are, so we can prioritize. She wonders if the wider congregation is aware of where we are. She recommended for us to remind them, so that they know that we are still in this phase. Action Item: Antonio Gallardo is planning to host at least a quarterly community meeting to share where we are.

  1. WHERE IS GOD AT WORK……………………….…………………………………………………………….. (3.37 pm / 10 min) Antonio Gallardo shared that this is an agenda item that he expects we start at the next meeting. The idea of this item is to bring to the Bishop’s Committee experiences of God related to the St. Luke’s Community at large.

  1. COMMUNICATION BACK TO THE CONGREGATION ………………………..……………………….. (3.47 pm / 5 min)- Antonio Gallardo shared that the intent of this agenda item is to share on St. Luke’s website the most relevant discussions, and all the decisions made at the meeting. This will start when the website is up and running.

  1. APPRECIATION AND REGRETS …………………………………………………………………..…………………….. (3.53 pm)

  1. CLOSING PRAYER- Nishanti Nkurukulasuriya sent us in prayer.

Next Bishop’s Committee Meetings: May 19th, 2019



Reunión del Comité del Obispo - 28 de Abril de 2019

AGENDA

  1. ORACIÓN DE APERTURA ...................................................... Antonio J. Gallardo (2.00 PM /7 min)

  2. BIENVENIDA A VISITANTES ........................................................ Antonio J. Gallardo (2.07 PM/ 5 min)

  3. ASISTENCIA & INFORME SOBRE LOS MIEMBROS AUS................................ June Mack (2.12 PM /3 min)

  4. ASUNTOS DE NEGOCIO

a. Aprobación de minutas de Febrero y Marzo, 2019 …………………………………… Antonio J. Gallardo (2.15 pm / 5 min)

b. Informe del Tesorero ................................................................................................ Bart Stratton (2.20 PM /7 min)

c. Balanceando el presupuesto del 2019.................................................................... Antonio / Bart( 2.27 PM / 5 Min)

d. Discusión – trabajando con la Dióceses y su carácter legal sin fines de lucro... Antonio J. Gallardo (2.32 PM / 7 Min)

e. Comité de Trabajo: rentando salones para eventos sociales ……………………………….…… Steven Fox (2.39 pm / 8 min)

f. Reporte del Desarrollo de Página Web / Próximos Pasos ………………………………..…….Vanessa Ynda (2.47 pm / 5 min)

  1. CONVERTIENDONOS EN LA COMUNIDAD QUE IMAGINAMOS ..….. Antonio J. Gallardo (2.52 PM/ 15 min)

a. Decisión de fecha y hora para discutir Misión, Visión, Valores; esfuerzos actuales

b. Participación en oportunidades de entrenamiento de la Diócesis:

i. Recaudación de Fondos para Comunidades de Color (TX, Abril 30 – Mayo 1st)

ii. Academia de Emprendimiento Social (Mayo – Nov, 2019)

iii. Conferencia de Mayordomia (Junio 1ro)

iv. Nuevo Comienzo para gente Laica (Otoño 2019)

  1. INFORMES DE LOS GUARDIANES.......................... ……Donna Machado / Steven Fox (3.07 PM/ 10 min)

  2. INFORME DEL SACERDOTE ENCARGADO.................................... Antonio J. Gallardo (3.17 PM/ 10 min)

  3. CABOS SUELTOS ........................................................................................................ (3.27 PM / 5 min)

  4. COMENTARIOS Y REFLEXIONES DE LOS VISITANTES ..................................................... (3.32 PM / 5 min)

  5. DONDE ESTA DIOS TRABAJANDO .............................................................................. (3.37 PM / 10 min)

  6. COMUNICACIÓN A LA CONGREGACIÓN ....................................................................... (3.47 PM / 5 min)

  7. APRECIACIONES Y ARREPENTIMIENTOS ................................................................................ (3.52 PM )

  8. ORACIÓN DE CLAUSURA

Próxima reunión del Comité del Obispo: 19 de Mayo

13 views